ICAN Elects New Executive Director
ICAN Names New Executive Director
Rob Miller to Lead Nonprofit, Build Support for Its Free College Planning Services That Assist Iowa Families
WEST DES MOINES, IOWA (August 28, 2012) — The Iowa College Access Network® (ICAN), a nonprofit educational organization that helps Iowa students and families plan for success in college, has named Rob Miller its new executive director.
Miller, who previously led ICAN from 2007 to 2009, has an extensive background in working with education-focused companies. During his 20 years experience in executive sales and marketing, he has held positions at NCS Pearson Inc., XAP Corporation and ACT Inc. He also formerly served as senior vice president of business development and client relations for Iowa Student Loan®.
“Rob brings with him a wealth of knowledge about how to help students succeed,” said Rose Rennekamp, chair of the ICAN board of directors. “He will continue our efforts to help Iowa students gain access to and achieve good outcomes from higher education. He will be reaching out to key constituents and policymakers to garner support and create new partnerships.”
Each year, ICAN helps thousands of Iowa students through:
- More than 1,200 college planning, financial aid, money management and academic success presentations, typically delivered on-site in 99% of Iowa’s high schools.
- Assistance provided to more than 5,000 students and parents in filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA).
- More than 5,000 appointments with students and parents at ICAN offices in West Des Moines and Cedar Rapids.
- More than 12,000 phone calls initiated by students and parents.
- E-newsletters sent to more than 200,000 recipients.
- An informative website that provides guidance to secondary and postsecondary students.
Miller said knowing the history of ICAN and understanding its nonprofit purpose provides a clearer vision for what’s needed in the future. “I could not be more passionate about ICAN’s mission and the assistance it provides families. I look forward to working with its amazing staff and supporters,” Miller said.
A graduate of the University of Iowa, Miller is also a past member of the Iowa Dollars for Scholars board and executive committee, Iowa College Goal Sunday’s statewide planning committee and the Education Finance Council’s community outreach committee. In 2008, Miller was chosen to participate in the design of financial literacy standards in support of the Iowa Model Core Curriculum.
Individuals, groups or businesses that are interested in learning more about ICAN and the free college planning services it provides Iowans can contact Miller at (877) 272-4692, ext. 4200, or rmiller@ICANsucceed.org.