Understanding the FSA ID
What is an FSA ID?
What is an FSA ID? An FSA ID is a username and password that allows you to log into multiple student aid websites and services without inputting personal information such as your social security number each time.
How is the FSA ID used?
The FSA ID is used to log in to certain U.S. Department of Education websites. Your FSA ID confirms your identity when you access your financial aid information and electronically sign Federal Student Aid documents.
How do I get an FSA ID?
The process of setting up the FSA ID takes about 15 minutes. For the purposes of the FAFSA, the student submitting, and one parent will be required to have an FSA ID.
You can create an FSA ID here: https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm
Steps to Create an FSA ID
- When logging in to one of the websites listed above, click the link to create an FSA ID.
- Create a username and password, and enter your e-mail address.
- Enter your name, date of birth, Social Security number, contact information, and challenge questions and answers.
- If you have a Federal Student Aid PIN, you will be able to enter it and link it to your FSA ID. You can still create an FSA ID if you have forgotten or do not have a PIN.
- Review your information, and read and accept the terms and conditions.
- Confirm your e-mail address using the secure code, which will be send to the e-mail address you entered when you created your FSA ID. Once you verify your e-mail address, you can use it instead of your username to log in to the websites.
You can use your FSA ID to sign a FAFSA right away. Once the Social Security Administration verifies your information in one to three days, or if you have linked your PIN to your FSA ID, you will be able to use your FSA ID to access the websites listed above. For help, visit StudentAid.gov/fsaid.
What websites will utilize the FSA ID?
These websites will utilize the FSA ID as part of the login process:
- The National Student Loan Data System (NSDLS) - www.nslds.ed.gov
- Agreement to Serve (ATS) - www.teach-ats.ed.gov
How to Recover an FSA ID
Do you already have an FSA ID and are having trouble accessing it. You can't just get a new one, you have to recover it. Watch this video from Federal Student Aid to learn the steps to recovering your ID.