The Pre-Apprenticeship Program is a pathway to entry into a Registered Apprenticeship training program, designed to lead to a quality career in a skilled trade. The Labor Center’s high quality pre-apprenticeship program details:
- High school students aged 17 or older can enroll prior to graduation
- Five weeks of classroom instruction and hands-on training in the evening and Saturdays. Includes approved curriculum and meets standards set by the US Department of Labor.
- Works in partnership with Registered Apprenticeship programs in construction trades located across Iowa.
- Helps prepare Iowans to succeed in a Registered Apprenticeship by offering orientation, consultation, direct connections to training, apprenticeship readiness courses, and additional support that continues into the Registered Apprenticeship program.
Certificate of Completion of the Pre-Registered Apprenticeship Program includes:
- An OSHA-10 Certificate
- First Aid & CPR Training
- GPRO Green Construction Certification
- Math refresher and preparation for required apprenticeship entrance exams
- Curriculum covering essentials like trades awareness, handling tools, blueprint reading, workplace diversity, financial literacy, time management, and more
- Hands-on experience in one or more trades to test the student’s interests and abilities
- Introductions to registered apprenticeship training program coordinators and tours of training facilities
- Application assistance and interview preparation
Visit https://laborcenter.uiowa.edu/preapprenticeship-program for more information and upcoming program dates.