Even though it might seem early, start gathering information on colleges your freshman year. You'll be glad you did when it's time to apply during your senior year. Use folders and a college checklist (PDF) to keep the information organized.
How to find college information:
- Search the Internet to find colleges you might like. Check out the Helpful Links to find colleges' websites.
- Request information from the colleges on your list.
- Attend college fairs and talk to the representatives who visit your school.
- Ask relatives, friends and your school counselor about their college experiences and whether they have any suggestions for you.
- Visit campuses.
- Schedule tours.
- Make the most of any visits to campuses for sporting or cultural events (or take a side trip if you're traveling near a campus):
- Pick up materials at the admission office.
- Check out the environment. Does it feel right?
- Think about what you do and don't like about the campus.