ICAN Curriculum Program - Iowa
“I have found the program to be well researched, materials to be professionally presented and a good overview of topics to promote college and career readiness. Just as important, the customer service has been great from [ICAN]. From the professional training that allowed for discussion and sharing of ideas between counselors from different school systems, to the willingness to customize and add to the program based on feedback from users, it is a collaborative perspective. Because of how the lessons are put together, it is easy to use what you need and is a great foundation on which to build if you are trying to update your materials. As a bonus, I love that the program was developed in Iowa with our kids in mind.”
~ Tara Sommerville – St. Albert Catholic Schools
Iowa Curriculum Program
The ICAN Career and College Readiness Curriculum Program features 24 age- and grade-specific lessons covering Career Preparation/Selection, Academic Preparation, Financial Literacy, and College Selection and Application.
The curriculum is flexible and can be adapted for use through a student's advisement class, as a stand alone class, or integrated within existing coursework, small group work, and individual advising. It is designed to supplement a career information system, working to enhance the learning taking place within the system.
The ICAN Career and College Readiness Curriculum was designed to align with both the State of Iowa's Career and College Readiness definition and ICAP standards, as well as the national American School Counselors Association (ASCA) student standards for K-12 College-, Career, and Life-Readiness. . The ICAN program is designed to supplement a district's designated career information system in meeting ICAP requirements 5-12. ICAN is currently in discussions with the Iowa Department of Education working toward an official designation as an ICAP supplemental system. Click here to download the ICAN Curriculum standards overview.
Click here to see where ICAN's curriculum program is being implemented.
ICAN hosts information sessions monthly on the Iowa program for educators who are interested in implementing the ICAN curriculum program. Information sessions last 30-45 minutes and include time for questions. These sessions include sample lessons, a history of the program and an overview of training and content.
Information sessions are scheduled for the following dates:
- Additional dates coming soon.
- Click here to view a recording of an information session.
Designed to provide classroom based instruction on career and college planning topics, schools and organizations that license the curriculum receive in-depth training on the concepts, resources, and activities covered in each lesson. Licensing includes:
- Access to an online portal to download easy-to-implement lesson plans, slide decks, worksheets, and student activities
- One seat at virtual or in-person training
- Curriculum Manual that provides hard-copies of every piece of the curriculum program for all 24 lessons, as well as a professional resource guide and glossary of terms
- Training on how to integrate career and college readiness not only into the school counseling program, but into the building or district to create a college-going culture
- Full support from ICAN curriculum team on implementation
Year one license and training - $1,475
- Additional virtual training seats - $50 per seat
- Additional curriculum manuals - $50 per manual
- Additional in-person training seats at a general training - $100
- In-person on site training - $250 (unlimited participants)
Annual renewal - $450
A renewal license includes any new lessons released in the renewal year, as well as annual updates to all lessons ensuring timely and accurate content. A renewal also includes continued support from the ICAN curriculum team.
If you are ready to take the next steps complete our interest form.
Upcoming Training Opportunities
Fall 2021 training has concluded. Winter dates will be announced soon.