Your financial aid package includes everything the government and the school offer you in the way of financial aid programs. Before you take out student loans, make sure you look at all the options available to you. If you find yourself falling short you can try these strategies.
Ask for Advice
Make an appointment with a financial aid officer or with an ICAN advisor to discuss your situation.
- Ask questions about the aid offered.
- Discuss special circumstances.
- Talk about developing a plan to cover costs
Get a Part-Time Job
Ask if there are any work-study jobs still open. Look around campus and the nearby community for openings.
Some large volunteer programs can help you with your education costs.
- Americorps members earn educational awards to help pay back student loans or finance college, graduate school or vocational training.
- Peace Corps volunteers can apply for:
- Deferment of Stafford, Perkins and consolidation loans.
- Partial cancellation of Perkins Loans (15% for each year of service, up to 70% in total).
Find Out About Loan Cancellation and Forgiveness Programs
If you work in certain fields, some of your loan debt may be forgiven or reduced.
- Federal Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program
- Federal Perkins Loan Cancellation & Discharge
- Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness
- NURSE Corps Loan Repayment Program
- Federal Perkins Cancellation for Nurses
- Iowa Student Loan Nurse Educator Grant
- Attorney Student Loan Repayment Program
- John R. Justice Student Loan Repayment Program